MISSION, VISION, VALUES
The Parents’ Association “Step by Step” is a non-governmental and non-profit association with the primary aim of promoting the values of a society focusing on the children – a society that considers the children its most precious wealth and, therefore, places their well-being, development and education as a priority, while the restoration of parenthood values is seen as a source of possibilities to resolve conflicts between working and taking care of children, doing everything in its power so that the role of parents is appreciated and eased.
The main activity of the Association is promoting the rights of the children and their families to a decent life; cooperation with pre-school, school and other institutions which care for the children and the family; joint action of the members before national bodies and institutions, and local communities; organisation of seminars and public lectures; publishing activities; cooperation with national and foreign organisations and promoting donation and sponsorship activities.
The purpose and scope of the Association’s activities:
- encouraging and supporting an education policy that enables equal opportunities and access to quality primary education that is free and mandatory for all children.
- encouraging and supporting self-organisation and voluntary activities of parents to actively participate in all issues of significance for their children and families.
- encouraging and supporting the implementation of a methodology aimed at children in kindergartens and primary schools in order to create a learning environment where children learn happily, continuing to deepen their understanding of what they learn, as well as adopting democratic attitudes, values, and behaviour.
- encouraging working with adults, primarily parents, teachers, and educators in order to promote interculturalism, multiculturalism, inclusion, the prevention of child abuse, the prevention of different forms of addiction, and establishing quality standards and changes in practice that will lead to an improvement in the living conditions of children and adults.
- encouraging and advocating a partner relationship between the children and adults in all issues which affect their rights, encouraging a socially responsible business sector in order to better meet the needs of children and their parents.
- cooperation with national institutions and related associations in promoting the values of a society focused on children.
The Parents’ Association “Step by Step” is a civil society organisation that supports the development of democratic relations in the society through protection, respect and the advocacy of the rights and interests of children and families, as well as enhancing the voice of the parents with regards to drafting the policies and decisions which concern children and families.
The Republic of Croatia is a democratic society with a focus on the children – a society that considers the children its most precious wealth, placing their well-being, development, and education as a priority, while the restoration of parenthood values is seen as a source of possibilities to resolve conflicts between working and taking care of children, doing everything in its power so that the role of parents is appreciated and eased. The Parents’ Association “Step by Step” is recognisable by its activity and advocacy of positive parenthood which is in the child’s best interest.
VALUES and PRINCIPLES OF THE ACTIVITIES
The activities of the Parents’ Association “Step by Step” are based upon public benefit work in accordance with the values of responsibility, tolerance, appreciation of diversity, non-discrimination, and equality of access, and promoting welfare and non-violence.
A just and responsible society that we advocate in our activities is only possible when founded on respecting democratic and human rights.
In our work, we shall also advocate encouraging the participation of children and youths in all issues related to their rights, as well as the participation of parents in all issues related to their children and family. We see it as one of the paths to an inclusive society – a society sensitive to the needs of all its citizens, particularly the children and their parents.
We shall pursue informing based on scientific knowledge. We shall participate in the continuous process of learning and deliberation of the concept “parenthood which is in the child’s best interests” that has been sparked by the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in the entire world. Furthermore, we shall develop advocacy and leading skills and create opportunities for the participation and contribution of all interested persons.